Thursday, April 19, 2007

Vista Play by Play

Installing Windows Vista – Business Edition:

This is actually my second installation of Vista. The first one I did on my home laptop last night and I installed Vista Ultimate. The experience was so much fun that I thought I would do it again and this time write a Blog about it. I don't really know why other than "because I can" and I'm a geek.

The PC I'm upgrading is a Dell (yeah, don't go there) E520, 3.0ghz with 1.5gb of Ram (for those other geeks who may care).

Ok, Time is 10:45am, lets go:

Boot computer and log in as Administrator (as long as you have administrative rights you will be fine just logging in as yourself, if you have to log in at all, and if you know what administrative right are at all) - check

Turn off virus protection (huh? Pesky installation files resemble viruses so your virus protection software will have a fit if it is on)… yup – check

Make sure your internet connection is active (see below for reason) – check

Insert CD/DVD for Vista – check

Click on Upgrade (screw that "check compatibility" stuff, bring it on!) – check

Hmm… First screen wants to know if I want to connect to the internet to download installation updates……to go online for latest updates or not…. Well… the description for the "Do not get updates" option sounds scary… "Without these updates, installation might fail and your computer could be more vulnerable to security threats".. OK, I can deal with that since I am a Tech Goddess but I'll let it get the updates anyway, can't hurt

Wait, should I check off the box that says "I want to help make Windows installation better"? … naaa live dangerously and let them fix it themselves – no check

Click on "Go online to get latest updates for installation" – check…

Now it is searching for installation updates……

Ouuuuu, my first error message:

Windows setup was unable to download update files at this time… blah blah blah, Click OK, I'll deal with this later – check

Type your product key for activation… hmmmm…. No, I don't want to. I'll take off the check mark for "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online" too because if I don't like the software, I want to be able to remove it and use the product key on another machine at another time. I don't want Microsoft to see that the key has already been used. I have that right and that ability. Click Next – check

Haha Microsoft isn't happy that I didn't put in the product key… "Do you want to enter your product key now? If you choose not to enter the product key now, you might need to reinstall Windows later and potentially lose data, information and programs or you might need to purchase another edition of Windows Vista" ouuuu scare tactics. I'm still going to click NO! Take THAT Bill! – check

"Select the edition of Windows that you purchased". This is probably the important part since the version is related to the product key. I'll choose the Business version since that is what I'm installing right now. I also have to check off a box at the bottom of the window that says "I have selected the edition of Windows that I purchased." Why? I don't know, probably some legal crap. There are some other scare tactics about the product key but all I hear in my head when I read it is blah blah blah. Click Next – check.

License terms… how many people really read it? Click "I accept" and click next – check

"What type of installation?" Two options, Upgrade or Customize. Well, I want to save my programs and files and I only want to have 1 operating system on my computer so I'm going to upgrade. If I choose the Custom install I can have both XP and Vista on my PC or I can wipe my system clean and install Vista (lose all other programs and files) but I don't need the hassle. Click Upgrade – check.

Here's the good stuff now… Compatibility check. Of course there are some "Potential issues" So I'll "Click here for more information"

Well, it lists some software programs that "might not work". If I was really concerned about any of those programs I would exit out of the installation and contact the software company in question and see if there are any patches or new versions I may need for Vista. Since I don't really care about what is listed, I'm going to click Next to continue – check

Now its "upgrading". The window tells me that "your upgrade may take several hours to complete" great… There are 5 stages to complete:

Copying Windows files – started at 11:03am - finished at 11:06am – not bad

Getting files – Started at 11:06am – Finished at 11:12am – I'm not sure what the difference is between "copying files" and "getting files" but whatever, it was quick.

Expanding files - Started at 11:12am…. 11:13am The computer just restarted itself… DO NOT TOUCH THE COMPUTER. Just let the computer reboot on its own, it will go back into the installation when it's done. Ignore it… look away…. go do the dishes or something. Ok 11:14am and we are back to Expanding files (21%)… Finished 11:21am

Installing features and updates – Started 11:21am – Finished 11:21am… yup, less than a minute. That's probably because we don't have any Updates since we couldn't get them at the beginning of the installation

Completing upgrade – Started 11:21am..11:23am The computer just restarted itself… DO NOT TOUCH THE COMPUTER. Just let the computer reboot on it's own, it will go back into the installation when it's done. Ignore it… look away…. go do the laundry since the dishes are done already. 11:23am Ouuuuu "please wait a moment while windows prepares to start for the first time" message ….. lots of little white dots going across the screen. False hope, 11:25am, back to the installation screen. 11:28am brief blank screen but it went back to the install screen quickly. 11:41am Computer restarted itself again. 11:42am back to installation (64%).. I gotta pee, hurry up! 11:46am Another reboot. 11:48am finished rebooting and now I am at a different "setup windows" screen.

"Help protect windows automatically"…. Usually I don't like to let anything upgrade or check on-line for stuff without me initiating the download myself. Just the control freak in me. For this reason I am not going to use "recommended settings" which would "install updates, help make internet browsing safer and check online for solutions to problems". I can either "Install important updates only" or click on "Ask me later". For now, I will click on Ask me later… I really have to pee. Click next - check

"Time zone and date settings"… everything looks good click next – check

"Choose computers current location… Home, Work or Public". Since Public will put restrictions on my system I'll choose Work. I don’t really know what the difference between Home and Work are and I don't think it matters too much anyway. Work – check

11:55am A nice Thank You message, how sweet. Click Start – check

Psychedelic colors, very pretty subtle greens and blues.. I feel the calm settle over me already… aaaahhhhuuuummmmmmmm….. aaaaaaaahhhuuuuuummmmm…….. (snore) ... please wait while we check you systems performance

Strange screens flash across telling you all about how awesome Vista is. You can "turn everyday moments in to lifetime memories" or "Connect, play, have fun" or have "The power to find everything"… hey I lost an earring last week…. You think? I also have a "more secure environment" and "getting it done just got more fun" or "connect and communicate like never before" or "turn everyday…" wait, repeat window, how lame. Now I have a blank screen…. Ok it is Preparing your (my) desktop 12:01am…

12:02am I have a DESKTOP!

The Windows Welcome Center has opened and I can now begin to play with Vista and test my software.

Note: No animals were harmed in this installation of Windows Vista. Can't say the same for the guys I work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment