Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A ramble from 2009 that I never published

I found the following "ramble" in my drafts folder. I find it interesting because nothing much has changed.

Here it is:

I've found that life has slowed down a bit for me and I like it. My job is busier than ever. The company I work for isn't busy, don't misunderstand me. Because we have let so many people go over the last few months, everyone has extra work to do, in the same amount of time as before, when they had less to do, which didn't seem like less at the time and only now seems like less, because they have more to do .... I love run-on sentences, much to the chagrin of my old English teachers.... I digress.... what was I thinking about...oh yeah.... nothing really, just rambling...

Would you believe that over 4 years later, the people that were let go were never replaced and now everyone is over-stressed and tired. Business has more than doubled. We've bought up competitors and evolved our web presence to a profitible venture. Yet, we have not supplemented our staff or expanded our workforce outside of the minimum wage base.

Sadly it is the result of Corporate Greed. While I understand the financial concerns of the "higher ups", I also see the pain in the eyes of the employees who suffer the most. While my skill set allows me to push through the financial ramifications, the woman who empties everyone's trash and keeps the bathrooms spotless, can't heat her home so she wears jackets around the house. She cries when I give her my old clothes and shoes. It's humbling... and sad. I'm more disappointed in the company I work for than the President of the United States, whom they like to blame for our hardships, lack to raises and the decrease in our healthcare coverage. When/Why/How did the big Corporations stop seeing their employees as people and start seeing them as part of the cost of their product?

I have some decisions to make...




No comments:

Post a Comment